Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankfully

In the spirit of thankfulness, I thought I'd write a quick post about the things I once took for granted at my job, that I no longer have the opportunity to enjoy. Although this may seem like backhanded gratefulness, let me assure you I am grateful that I once enjoyed these things. Furthermore, that knowledge spurs me to hope that I may once again someday be employed in an office that has these amenities:

1) Free coffee!
2) A refrigerator - I don't even need one stocked with juice! I just miss good, old-fashioned food preservation abilities!
3) A microwave (that's right folks - apparently I work in a log cabin with a dirt floor and no electricity)
4) CLEAN restrooms! (seriously...WHO unrolls all the toilet paper EVERY day in our restroom?? Probably the same person who SMOKES in our downstairs bathroom, three feet from the front door. GO OUTSIDE if you must partake in that disgusting habit/fire hazard!)
5) Free breakfast some days - <3 coworkers who bake! On that note, I also appreciate having non-judgmental eaters for coworkers, haha. Really, if I want to eat pop-tarts for breakfast, I think that's ok. I probably won't die.
6) My own office space (complete with interchangeable name plates!)
7) TWO monitors!
8) a decent office chair (note: I currently have one of these at my office, but only because I purchased one off Craigslist - hooray for Craigslist too!)
9) pointless meetings!
10) HEALTH INSURANCE - I have no joke for this one. Seriously, if you work somewhere that pays for your health care, be grateful for it.
11) Solitude. I knew before that I enjoyed working with data more than working with people, but this new job is teaching me that I don't much enjoy working with people. Builds character though, right?

In exchange for all these amenities, I know have access to Twitter and Facebook, something I mourned the loss of at XTO. However, I have since discovered that social networking is something that people do when they're supposed to be working. I'll take a real job, tyvm.

No comments:

Post a Comment